Sunday, November 6, 2011

Caramel Apple Cupcakes


You all know I love to bake, especially with (and for!) our little munchkins. So when I found out Trey had his school halloween party I asked if I could make some cupcakes. When I asked Trey what kind he wanted he said 'vanilla with vanilla'. Gack! He's killin' me with that! So I ended up making two batches, one for him and one for the adults. I've been thinking about making a fall-inspired cupcake and this was the perfect opportunity to try out the idea swimming around my head: caramel apple!

Ri's gotten so good at cracking eggs that she can do it with her eyes closed! 
I typically start with a box cake (why wouldn't I when they're $1.20 and saves some of my sanity?!). So I started this one with a regular old white cake and added a bunch of fall-ish spices so it turned into more of a spice cake. I filled the cupcakes with a homemade caramel sauce and topped it off with DOLLOP of plain vanilla buttercream icing. This cupcake is rich so you don't want to add too much icing on top of everything. A dab will do ya ;)

Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 box of vanilla cake
  • 3 eggs
  • 2/3 cup applesauce (replaces the oil)
  • 1/2 cup apple cider 
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tsp cinnamon 
  • a pinch of pumpkin pie spice 
  • 2 granny smith apples, cut up
  • crushed nuts (to garnish)
Caramel Filling Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk (or heavy whipping cream)
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar 
The Cupcakes:
  • Dice up your apples 
  • Put all the cake ingredients in the bowl 

  • Mix it all up
  • and pour the batter into your baking cups (forgot to snap a pic but you know what I'm talking about)
  • Bake for about 15 minutes and then let cool


Meanwhile get started on the caramel filling!

Yep, a whole stick of butter for this itty bitty amount of caramel...not diet friendly!
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat
  • Add brown sugar and milk
  • Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar
  • Remove from the heat and allow to cool
  • Once cooled, beat in confectioners sugar with the paddle attachment on your mixer 
Note - do not get the caramel on you or you will end up with a burnt finger! See picture below for evidence...
  • Pour the beautiful caramel into a piping bag and fill the cupcakes with it!

  • Top the cuppies off with a small dot of vanilla icing and some nuts for texture

  • Admire the gorgeous caramel filling before you devour enjoy all your hard work!
{Pardon the low quality picture, I only had my point and shoot available!}
{PS that's one moist cupcake!}

aaaaand while Ri and I baked dessert, A made us dinner! We're such a well-rounded family ;)

Ri is in charge of our quality control...

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...