Friday, December 23, 2011

It's Cooooookie Time!

I bet you can guess what my favvorrritee tradition is...go ahead guess...got it?

Did you guess baking cookies with the two munchkins? If you did then you are riiiiiiight :)

I have always loved making christmas cookies, when we were little I would literally force my seister to work on them with us. We always make sugar cookies with icing as well as using my G's cookie press. She told me every year how amazed she was that I would do everything in my power to bring the family together to bake. The year she passed away I found this note in the cookie press box. 



It is now one of the most important things I own and making sure I carry on the baking tradition means more to me than ever . Seeing that note on my counter makes me feel like G is still with me, making sure I'm cleaning my baking mess as I go along. I honestly feel so close to her when I'm in the kitchen this time of year. 

OK OK sap sap. Proof we've been doing this for awhile:




And from tonight!




 

It's amazing how good the munchkins are getting at sugar cookie decorations. 
:::beaming with pride:::


I also whipped up these chocolate covered oreos {my favorite!}


and egg nog cupcakes with a spice rum Swiss Menagerie Buttercream


and cornflake-marshmallow 'wreathes'!

This is what my kitchen has looked like over the past 24 hours!




and where I've spent the last 24 hours...{except for the 10 hours at work...duh}


Here are my two favorite cookies that I made. I only make 4 tonight - someone has to make sure the icing is made so everyone else can enjoy....


I made royal icing for the first time this year and am pretty happy with how it turned out. I hope to carve out a few minutes before Saturday to make another batch of cookies so I can practice piping. Does that make me a dork? Or did I already call myself out when I admitted to reading 5 books in 7 days on vacation. opps. fine, I'll say it:

i.am.a.dork.who'd.rather.bake/read.than.drink.copious.amounts.of.alcohol.on.vacation.or.day.off.

Plus my tummy hurts from too much icing...

and no sleep.

Tis the season :) 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...